24 October 2010

Pork and peppers and pasta, oh my


I aimlessly wandered the aisles at the grocery store today searching for inspiration.  I happened upon some pork chops and thought to myself, how would I prepare them.  Then it came to me, I could  make them like we had growing up, with vinegar peppers.  The next dilemma was what to serve them with.  I thought I would make some cheesy orzo cooked risotto style but then I couldn't find a brand of orzo that I liked, so I figured I'd make due with whatever pasta I had at home. 


Generously salt and pepper both sides of the pork chops.  Fry them on medium heat for about 5 minutes each side until they are nice and brown.  Take them out of the pan, add in some garlic, a bunch of vinegar peppers and some of the juice from the peppers.  Saute for a few minutes, then add the pork chops back into the pan.  Cook covered on medium low until cooked to your desired doneness.  Spoon the peppers and sauce over the pork to serve.

I'm not big on following recipes to the letter since I usually just improvise and use recipes for inspiration, but if you want an exact recipe, you can use this one from epicurious.



I decided to have pasta cacio e pepe with the pork.  I made trenne since I had it leftover from a previous dinner.  Cook whatever pasta you like in generously salted water until al dente.  Reserve about a cup of the pasta water.  Drain the pasta and on medium heat make a sauce of the reserved cooking water, lots of cracked black pepper and grated Pecorino Romano cheese.  After a few minutes, add in the pasta to the sauce.  Similar recipe here.

This is my version of Italian macaroni and cheese.  Mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment