31 October 2010

My Sister's Pasta


 I come from a family of good cooks.  We grew up in the kitchen and dinner time at home was sacred.  This weekend in NYC at my sister's, I had a few bites of some leftover pasta in her fridge that was quite delicious so I thought I would try my hand at making it.  The ingredients together are somewhat unconventional but they work.

Here's what she does.  Slice up some kielbasa and saute it in olive oil with Adobo, chile powder and cayenne pepper.  While it's cooking slice up some vegetables.  She uses bell peppers, red onion, artichokes and broccoli.  Marinate the sliced onions in red wine and/or red wine vinegar.


Once the kielbasa is brown, remove it from the pan and saute some garlic.  Add in the red onion and its marinade to deglaze the pan.  Then add in the rest of the vegetables (except the broccoli) with some capers.

While the vegetables are cooking, cook some pasta (I made whole wheat penne).  Add the broccoli in with the pasta about 3 minutes before the pasta should be done.


Add in chopped tomatoes  (I used a carton of Pomi tomatoes) to the vegetables and add back the kielbasa.   If you so desire, throw in a dollop or two of sour cream to give the sauce some creaminess.  Once the pasta and broccoli are done, add them in to the pan with the sauce and veggies.


Thanks sis for a new dish to add to my repertoire!

No comments:

Post a Comment