31 October 2010

New York, I Love You

I have a love/hate relationship with New York City.  I love it in more ways than I can count and I hate it when it's time to leave.   This weekend's visit to NYC, as usual, was spent mostly shopping and eating.  Let's start with the shopping.

Cole Haan Air Avalon tall boots
As you know from my weekend wishlist I was in the market for some black riding boots.  Well, mission accomplished.  I found these Cole Haan boots that were exactly what I was looking for down to the buckles and hardware.

Cole Haan Air Zelo OTK boot
My sister has been in the market for a pair of over the knee boots.  But being 5'10" plus apparently makes it difficult to find an over the knee boot that is in fact, over the knee.  While in the Cole Haan store, we somehow spotted these fabulous bestudded boots that really were over the knee.  These could be a late addition to my own wishlist.

What day of shopping is complete without an impulse purchase?  For once the impulse buy was made by someone other than me!  You might remember that awhile back I bought these gorgeous Mulberry postman's lock booties that I posted about here.  My sis loves them but first, the heels are precariously high and second, they are a wee bit expensive.  So imagine her delight when these bright blue Belle by Sigerson Morrison booties jumped out at us at Bergdorf's.  Now we have dueling bright blue booties!

My Mulberry booties (top left) and my sis' booties

And now on to the eating.  We had lunch Saturday at one of my very favorite spots; JG Melon's.  If you are ever in need of a juicy burger, crisp cottage fries and a bloody bull (or two), you should definitely check this place out.  And for those of you not familiar with the bloody bull, it's a bloody mary with beef broth and it's a perfect Saturday afternoon, hair of the dog beverage.

Saturday night we went out to dinner to celebrate my brother's birthday at Fille Ponte on the West Side Highway in Tribeca.  This place is totally old school Italian and while they're trying to reinvent themselves (they're calling themselves just Ponte's these days) it's still got the same old school vibe.  We nestled into the cozy downstairs bar and were served a few very generous martinis by the jovial bartender.  He gave us some homemade chips as barsnacks plus a margherita pizza.  Thirst quenched, we made our way to our table upstairs in the large dining room overlooking the Hudson River with tables nicely spaced.  It's just so lovely to dine somewhere without tables piled on top of each other.  We snacked on eggplant caponata, perfectly sweet and sour and some lush and fresh grana padano.  We shared their veal meatballs, fritto misto and sausage with broccoli rabe while we decided on our main courses.  I ordered the homemade cavatelli with sausage which was a very generous and quite delicious portion.  Everyone loved the food and the service couldn't have been more attentive.  If you're in the 'hood, definitely swing by.


My weekend ended on a high note at the hands of my genius in the kitchen brother in law.  He makes this breakfast panini that is like none I've ever had before.  The ingredients, which are unconventional for breakfast, are perfectly harmonious.  Here's the rundown, ham, egg and cheese (provolone and boursin) on ciabatta bread with arugula and pepperoncini.  Totally delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment