27 September 2010

Family, friends and FOOD!!

I had a fun filled weekend with my mother here from Florida and a bonus visit from my brother, sis in law and the most adorable niece in the world.  For such an occasion, I wanted to do something where we could really spend time together without worrying about being rushed at some restaurant.

Goat cheese, brie and Cotswold

My favorite green, meaty olives and tomato/mozzarella bruschetta
Coppa, mortadella and fennel salami from the Butcher Shop
Chicken Milanese, chicken Parm, salad with lemon/chive/mustard vinaigrette
Trenne pasta with san marzano tomato sauce
To my mother's horror, we zipped to Whole Foods on Beacon Hill to do the shopping (she clearly is not a fan of my highly skilled driving ability).  Lucky for us, we both survived the drive!  One of the big decisions of the shopping trip was what shape pasta to serve.  Since I was squeezing about eight people around my coffee table for dinner, I couldn't go with spaghetti or fusilli as the long twirly pastas tend to be messy.  Instead I opted for trenne which is kind of a triangular ziti. 

I wanted to make sure that I could have all the food ready before everyone arrived since I didn't want to be in the kitchen and miss out on all the fun.  I breaded and fried all the chicken ahead of time, plus I made homemade pasta sauce with a few cans of San Marzano tomatoes in the afternoon.  Then all I had to do was cook the pasta and heat the chicken in the oven and dinner was ready!  I had plenty of time with my family and friends and I have plenty of leftovers to archive in my freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment